Both terms house and church have been redefined since New Testament times. Extended families lived in houses – with people (and animals) coming and going, unlike our private places of retreat; and the term church only ever referred to people meeting in those houses – never to buildings, denominations, or hierarchies or leadership.
Important insights for house churches –
1. Unchurched friends – give balance to fellowship & community.
2. Meeting around food (brunch, lunch, evening meal or coffee) – enriches.
3. Incorporate the Lord’s Supper into the meal.
4. Develop the practice of praying conversationally.
5. Read books of the Bible together – a section or chapter at a time.
6. Be involved in your community – clean up days, etc.
For excellent resources check out OIKOS.